Featured Holiday Recipe: Danish Orchards Preserves Holiday Cookies
November 19, 2020
The team at Smart Foodservice thanks ACME Food Sales, Inc. for their sponsorship and for sharing this delicious recipe with us.
What’s better than a buttery cookie with a dusting of powdered sugar on top? Two buttery cookies with a generous spoonful of preserves in the middle. Our go-to choice is Danish Orchards Preserves, imported from Denmark. Raspberry, strawberry, boysenberry, blackberry - there’s no end to the delicious flavor options.
These holiday cookies have a rich history. They’re very similar to the Austrian Linzer cookie (Linzer Kekse). The cookies were named after their city of origin, the Austrian town of Linz. The cookie made its debut in the 1800’s and was so popular that it traveled across Europe.
As the cookie made its way from country to country, each put its own spin on the combination of ingredients. The cookie is now favored as a holiday dessert in many countries.
Ready to give this recipe a go? This holiday cookie recipe shines with high-quality ingredients like Danish Orchards Preserves. They’re cooked slowly and lovingly and taste so close to homemade you would think your grandma made them!
Combine the full flavor of fresh fruit with a buttery cookie made with flour, ground almonds, with a dash of cinnamon and vanilla and you’ve got a new holiday favorite. Imagine your first bite of these holiday cookies when they’re warm out of the oven!
Danish Orchards Preserves Holiday Cookies
Shop for this recipe’s ingredients here!
Yield: 4 dozen (approximately)
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 3 hours to chill dough
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
2/3 cup raw whole almonds
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for work surface
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter – room temperature
1 extra large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
1 ½ cups Danish Orchards Raspberry, Strawberry, Boysenberry, or Blackberry Preserves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally until fragrant, 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process the almonds and ¼ cup of the brown sugar until the almonds are finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, cream together the butter and the remaining ¼ cup of brown sugar until fluffy (2-3 minutes). Then beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add the almond mixture, then the flour mixture, mixing until combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, approx. 3 hours.
*If you don’t have time to make this cookie dough, you can use premade sugar cookie dough.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1/8-inch thick.
- Using a circular shape cookie cutter, cut out an even number of solid bottoms and tops with inner circular cutouts. For each finished cookie you will need two pieces.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing then 1? apart.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes minutes. Cool thoroughly on a rack.
- To make sandwich cookies: Sprinkle confectioner’s sugar on the top half of the cookie (the part with the center cut out). Spread a teaspoon of preserves over the bottom half of the solid cookies, keeping away from the edge. Carefully place the top half over the jam.
Wholesale Groceries, Baking Supplies & Much More at Smart Foodservice
Happy holidays to all you home cooks out there! We want you to know that we’re your one-stop-shop for all your cooking and baking needs. Not only do we carry the highest-quality baking supplies and spices, but you can purchase the freshest meat and seafood, produce, dairy products, beverages, and more.
We also stock baking and cooking supplies, from aluminum foil and serving trays to cutting boards and cutlery. We invite you to browse our products. Have questions? We’re here to help. Just contact your local Smart Foodservice wholesale grocery store and our associates can answer any questions you have.
If you’re elbow-deep in cookie dough and don’t have time to run to the store don’t worry, we’ve got you. We provide our customers with grocery delivery via Instacart and Shipt. You can place your order online and have it delivered right to your doorstep. We look forward to serving you!